Thursday, September 11, 2014

Beautiful Skin & Hair is WHY YOU NEED a bathroom pantry too!


My beauty routine over the past two years has gone from Clinique to Tarte, Benefit, Origins & Aveda to Derma E and other organic brands to now... mostly all DIY or essential oil. Of course I tried several products in between this list, some mainstream Organic Moroccan Oil brands and the like.

Each one still had a slew of ingredients I am not confident in; after a lifetime of applying moisturizers and tonics to my face including tons of acids, harmful compounds and potential carcinogens (as seen in the list at the bottom of this post,) without any lasting results, I feel it's time to remove all risks and set a good example for my children. My own path of awareness started with the desire to remove animal ingredients, then moved to focus on removing harmful chemicals, which is near impossible when shopping at most drugstores and makes it very hard for someone like me, on a mission to be more healthy yet facing daily skin nightmares! 

I have struggled with break outs my whole life. If I ate dairy, milk chocolate, had my period, didn't change my pillow case after 3 nights, slept with my hand of my check, didn't rinse off within 30 minutes of working out, etc. I would be plagued with a break out zone! The routine below has given me so much relief, with a little more effort on my part to save my wallet, environment and skin, it has been worth it and worth sharing!

Just in the past three months have I discovered a process that works for me and makes the environment better too
**This exact routine will not work for everyone. If you explore the links and sources of this article you will find a natural routine to replace products you purchase.

My bathroom pantry includes: Apple Cinder Vinegar (with the 'mother,') Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil, Argan Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Lavender Oil, Honey, Sea Salt, Raw Sugar & Baking Soda. 
*All ORGANIC
*If you are allergic to nuts, replace Argan & Coconut oil with Lavender oil and avoid tea tree oils.
**You should also grow your own Aloe Vera plant for skin use and cooking!

Some other oils that may benefit your skin and first aid kit can be found here at Experience Essential Oils.

I keep small glass jars and pumps from products I used and discontinued use of. This saves me money and reuses packaging. I already purchase these ingredients for the kitchen and barely notice the cost effect, however, I noticed the savings in decreasing product use! 

DAILY ROUTINE FOR SKIN: I wash with coconut oil and sea salt or sugar. I keep a jar and spoon in the shower, I bring a little cup of sugar or salt and add it to a tablespoon of coconut oil in my palm. I then use this like any other scrub on my face, neck, shoulders and back. I add more or less sugar and salt to adjust how much exfoliation I need that day, sometimes I skip this. My pores come so clean after this.
*Washing with oil takes adjusting to after using soap, however it was worth it, I have never had my pores so small and come so clean. Seriously, if my face feels kind of grimy after sleep or a day in the garden, its instantly clear after oil cleansing. Plus any makeup that I might have worn comes off instantly with no need to use removers.

I use Apple Cider Vinegar as toner. Dilute one part vinegar to two parts filtered water and store in a small glass container for daily use with cotton or paper towel. Sometimes I make slightly larger batches and put in a (still smallish) spray bottle. Once-three times a week I do not dilute the vinegar and pat my skin with cool water-this gives me a super fresh looking complexion. Keep vinegar away from the eye area.
*I thought the smell was going to bother me and my family, but it was easy to get used to personally and my son thinks I smell like tea right after my complete routine below.

I finish with Lavender oil and Argan oil as moisturizer. 
Use this helpful article on how to cure acne and skin issues holistically for more ideas if you don't think this routine is for you!


FOR HAIR: I use a DIY Honey Shampoo I found on 'Empowered Sustenence' a very useful site for holistic skin care. Use the link above for all the details on Honey Shampoo. Exert below is tailored to my routine from her article. Honey is PH BALANCED around 4.

"Ingredients : Raw honey (also called "unpasteurized" honey), Filtered water and a few drops of essential oils, such as carrot seed oil- optional

Instructions: Make the shampoo "single serving" basis to prevent spoilage. Here's the basic ratio, but you can adjust it as desired: 1 Tbs. raw honey and 3 Tbs. filtered water. If necessary, slightly heat the mixture over very low heat to help dissolve the honey. Yes, this is really watery... that is how it is supposed to be. If desired, add a few drops of essential oil. I like adding two drops of lavender essential oils and two drops of carrot seed oil. The essential oils add a light fragrance and also help with any flaky scalp issues. 

Wet hair, then massage a few tablespoons of the honey shampoo on the scalp. Massage well to distribute over the scalp. Don't worry about getting the mixture on the ends of the hair, just the scalp area. Rinse well. No need to follow with any conditioner."

After washing: With hair still wet I mix argan oil, coconut oil, and grapeseed oil in small amounts the bottom 1/4 of my hair (approx. 25"long) and brush thoroughly. I end brushing by spending 100-200 strokes over my scalp. This distributes the oil nicely throughout my hair and does not leave any oil stuck strands. 
*Start with very small amounts and add more, you don't want to add too much of these oils. All three of these oils are thick so it wont take much. 

DO NOT: Wash your hair with vinegar and baking soda. The PH balance of Baking Soda is 9 and thus is highly Alkaline and stripping. Some health experts claim this method is better and more natural than shampoo but most reviews of the baking soda rinse method, as seen here on MindBodyGreen, are results lead to drying and brittling of hair. I live in the Pacific Northwest and have a cold climate with high humidity-the perfect environment for a constant static nightmare, I wont even try this method because I KNOW PH BALANCE IS VITAL TO HAIR & SKIN CARE.

Use this helpful HOW TO PH BALANCE YOUR HAIR article if you don't think this routine is for you!


Ingredients to look for and AVOID in your current products:
Mercury Compounds
Lead Compounds
Triclosan
Formaldehyde - nail products
1,4 Dioxane- PEG, polyethylene, polyethylene glycol, polyoxyethylene, polyethoxyethylene, and polyoxynolethylene.
Coal Tar- Dark hair dyes
Diethanolamine (DEA)
Dibutylphthalate (DBP), dimethylphthalate (DMP), and diethylphthalate (DEP) are known as phthalates which is a common cosmetic additive in hairspray, nail polish, soap, shampoo, and perfume.
Parabens
Fragrances
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Sources:http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/dangerous-ingredients-in-cosmetics#9
http://www.experience-essential-oils.com/natural-wound-healing.html
http://www.futurederm.com/2012/06/20/3-reasons-why-baking-soda-and-apple-cider-vinegar-destroy-your-hair-and-what-to-use-instead/
http://empoweredsustenance.com/no-poo-method-damages-hair/
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/13/sodium-lauryl-sulfate.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment